Recommended Propers and Hymns for a Wedding
Below we offer a list of recommended scripture readings, hymns and phrasings for vows appropriate for weddings.
Genesis 1:26-28 Woman and man created in God's image
Genesis 2:18-24 Companionship rather than loneliness
Proverbs 2:3-6 Loyalty and faithfulness written on the heart
Song of Solomon 2:10-13 The voice of the beloved
Song of Solomon 8:6-7 Many waters cannot quench love
Isaiah 63:7-9 God's steadfast love lifts up the people
Jeremiah 31:31-34 The new covenant of the people of God
67 May God be merciful to us and bless us (v.1)
100 We are God's people and the sheep of God's pasture (v.3)
117 The faithfulness of the LORD endures forever (v.2)
121 The LORD watches over you and will keep your life (vv.5,7)
127 May the LORD build the house and watch over the city (v.1)
128 Happy are they who follow in the ways of God (v. 1)
150 Let everything that has breath praise the Lord (v.6)
Romans 8:31-35, 37-39 If God is for us, who is against us?
Romans 12:1-2, 9-18 A living sacrifice and genuine love
1 Corinthians 12:31-13:13 The greatest gift is love
Ephesians 3:14-19 The greatness of Christ's love
Ephesians 5:1-2 Live in love, as Christ loved us
Philippians 4:4-9 Rejoice in the Lord always
Colossians 3:12-17 Clothed in gifts of God
1 John 3:18-24 Let us love in truth and action
1 John 4:7-16 Let us love one another, for love is of God
Saint Matthew 5:1-10 The Beatitudes
Saint Matthew 5:14-16 Your are the light, let your light shine
Saint Matthew 7:24-27 Build on the rock
Saint Matthew 19:3-6 What God has united must not be divided
Saint Matthew 22:35-40 Love, the greatest commandment
Saint Mark 10:6-9 The are no longer two but one
Saint John 2:1-11 The wedding at Cana
Saint John 15:9-17 Love one another as I have loved you
308 - O Morning Star, How Fair and Bright
312 - Jesus, Come! For We Invite You
436 - Wake, Awake, for Night Is Flying
460 - Now the Silence
488, 489 - Soul, Adorn Yourself with Gladness
585 - Hear Us Now, Our God and Father
586 - This Is a Day, Lord, Gladly Awaited
631 - Love Divine, All Loves Excelling
642 - Ubi caritas et amor
644 - Although I Speak with Angel's Tongue
648 - Beloved, God's Chosen
816 - Come, My Way, My Truth, My Life
836 - Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee
839, 840 - Now Thank We All Our God
879 - For the Beauty of the Earth
881 - Let All Things Now Living
1. I take you, (name), to be my wife/husband from this day forward, to join with you and share all that is to come, and I promise to be faithful to you until death parts us.
2. In the presence of God and this community, I, (name), take you, (name), to be my wife/ husband; to have and to hold from this day forward, in joy and in sorrow, in plenty and in want, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, as long as we both shall live. This is my solemn vow.
3. I take you (name), to be my wife/husband, and these things I promise you: I will be faithful to you and honest with you; I will respect, trust, help, and care for you; I will share my life with you; I will forgive you as we have been forgiven; and I will try with you better to understand ourselves, the world, and God, through the best and worst of what is to come until death parts us.
4. I take you, (name), to be my wife/husband. I promise before God and these witnesses to be your faithful husband/wife, to share with you in plenty and in want, in joy and in sorrow, in sickness and in health, to forgive and strengthen you, and to join with you so that together we may serve God and others as long as we both shall live.
5. (Name), I take you to be my wife/husband from this time onward, to join with you and to share all that is to come, to give and to receive, to speak and to listen, to inspire and to respond, and in all circumstances of our life together to be loyal to you with my whole life and with all of my being until death parts us.
- Dennis L. Bushkofsky and Craig A. Satterlee, The Christian Life: Baptism and Life Passages, Volume Two. Minneapolis: Augsburg Fortress, 2008, p. 204.
- Evangelical Lutheran Worship Occasional Services for the Assembly. Minneapolis: Augsburg Fortress, 2009, p. 370.